Saturday, April 24, 2010

greater things.

This morning we had our Saturday morning women's fellowship. We had a dear friend Laura come and share with us on contentment. She shared from James 4:13-17, and spoke of four responses to God's sovereign will. Funny she chose this topic because it is exactly what I have been thinking about lately. Why am I so intent on my own will, and why do I want my plans to be better than the Lord's.

Proverbs 16:9- In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

No matter what God's will prevails; why do I continue to fight it?

Here are the 4 responses:
1) Those who disregard His sovereign will.
-> It is so easy to do this. I often ignore it because I think my plans are better. Even though I know the Lord to be soverein over ALL things, I am persistant to make my will His, instead of His mine.

2) Those who do His sovereign will.
-> I should be doing everything with the mindset that "if the Lord wills" i will do this. I can plan my way, but if the Lord wills, it will be done. Do I trust this will?

3) Those who deny His sovereign will.
->How often do we boast in our own plans? I do this alot!! for example, I say: when i graduate, i am going to have this great job (not only am i assuming i will have a great job, i am boasting in the work i have accomplished to get there. What if the Lord has another plan? would i be disappointed?)

4)Those who disobey His sovereign will.
-> Often I know what His plan for me to do is, and I disobey by still trying for my will to override His. His will is for me to be sanctified and glorify Him. I am being disobedient when i don't trust it.

How I wish I could be content knowing His will for my life is better than mine. I wish my desires were His. I only want to glorify the Lord.

I hope this can be of some encouragement, as it has been to me as I reflect of His word.

No comments: